Latest interest only buy to let mortgage offers:
2 Year Fixed - Interest Only Deal - FREE Legal Fees
- Initial Rate - 1.64% APR
- 75% Loan To Value (LTV)
- FREE standard valuation
Overall cost for comparison 4.2% APRC
Call Virgin Money FREE on 0330 057 1528
How To Get An Interest Only Buy To Let Mortgage
The good news is that in recent years a number of lenders have relaxed their criteria for this type of lending. Things to be mindful of include:
- Lenders are keen understandably to ensure at the end of the mortgage term the loan will be repaid. Criteria for lenders will vary but all will want to understand how you intend to pay off the mortgage at the end of the term.
- A repayment vehicle strategy will be required. Some lenders will accept sale of property as a way of paying off the debt. Some will want to see a saving plan such as regular investment into ISAs or investment vehicle. Where sale of property is not acceptable to lenders, they will often want to see statements of your investments as evidence that a repayment vehicle is in place.
- Most lenders will only offer an interest only mortgage if the loan to value (LTV) is lower than a set percentage of the value of the property you are mortgaging.This is typically 75% LTV or less. There are a few lenders that will go up to 85% LTV but you will need to speak to our independent mortgage team or 0117 403 3464 to access these rates. Some lenders will require a part interest and part capital repayment strategy for any borrowing over a set limit e.g. 60%. So if you have a 25% equity in your property, a lender may require that 15% of borrowing is on a part and part basis with 60% fully on an interest only basis.
Why do people Choose an interest only mortgage?
The main reason is to keep monthly costs to a minimum.
1. Has your initial mortgage deal come to an end?
By switching to a better deal with a different mortgage provider, an interest only mortgage could potentially allow you to benefit from lower interest rates and lower monthly mortgage repayments.
2. Are you looking to raise money?
By remortgaging you may be able to releasing equity in your investment properties.
People often remortgage to provide money for:
- Rental property improvements
- Deposit for a new property
- Develop existing properties to increase rental yield