How To Get A 5 Year Fixed Rate Mortgage
With uncertainty over interest rates many people are opting for a 5 year fixed rate mortgage.
The good news is that 5 year rates are currently very competitive. Reasons why people are moving to 5 year fixed terms include:
- Certainty - By locking into a 5 year fixed rate you get peace of mind that your monthly repayments will not change.
- Low rates - 5 year fixed rates are as low now as they have been for a very long time. Many homeowners are taking the view that now is a good time to lock in.
- Interest only options - Some lenders are offering 5 year fixed terms on an interest only or part and part basis. This type of arranagement is offered by some lenders if the loan to value (LTV) is lower than a set percentage of the value of the property you are mortgaging.This is typically 75% LTV or less. There are a few lenders that will go up to 85% LTV but you will need to speak to our independent mortgage team to access these rates. Some lenders will require a part interest and part capital repayment strategy for any borrowing over a set limit e.g. 60%. So if you have a 25% equity in your property, a lender may require that 15% of borrowing is on a part and part basis with 60% fully on an interest only basis.
Latest mortgage offers:
Post Office offer a great range of 5 year fixed rate mortgage offers - Click here »
Remortgaging your home is simple and if you are a homeowner with a mortgage it makes a lot of sense to review your monthly payments.
Why do people Choose a 5 year fixed mortgage?
The main reason is to keep monthly costs to a minimum.
1. Has your initial mortgage deal come to an end?
By switching to a better deal with a different mortgage provider, a 5 year fixed rate mortgage could potentially allow you to benefit from lower interest rates and lower monthly mortgage repayments. If your current mortgage deal has come to an end, you may find a new 5 year fixed rate gives you a lower monthly repayment than you were paying previously.
2. Are you looking to raise money?
By remortgaging you may be able to releasing equity in your home.
People often remortgage to provide money for:
- Home improvements
- New Kitchen
- New En-suite bathroom
- Consolidate other existing debts.
Remortgaging can be a good low cost way of paying for your new home project.
Buy To Let Mortgages
Post Office are currently offering £500 cashback on selected buy to let mortgage deals! - Click here »
If you are not sure whether now is the right time to remortgage or whether you can get an interest only deal speak to our independent mortgage broker team who will be able to offer impartial advice or you can call us on 0117 403 3464