How To Get A Help to Buy Mortgage
If you are looking to get on the housing ladder and you don't have enough to put down a deposit for a home, a help to buy shared ownership scheme allows you to part own your own (typically between 25% to 75%) and pay rent on the remaining share. Later on when you can afford it you have the option of buying a bigger share.
With the cost of buying property going up more and more people are opting for help to buy; shared ownership mortgage schemes.
Shared equity ownership schemes vary, but in general what they tend to have in common is that they provide buyers with a loan to cover some of the value of the property, in the form of equity or a mortgage guarantee.
In practice, this means that the buyer can get on the housing ladder with a lower deposit than would normally be accepted by mortgage lenders, because the Government is shouldering some of the risk.
How do help to buy shared ownership mortgage schemes work?
As an example a housing association is offering new build houses for £300,000. If you got a mortgage to buy 80% your share of the property would be worth £240,000. You would then pay rent on the remaining 20% (£60,000) to the housing association.
Who qualifies for shared ownership mortgage schemes?
- Income - You will be eligible if your household income is £80,000 or less. If you live in London the household limit is £90,000.
- First time buyer - You need to be a first time buyer or
- A previous homeowner - Who can no longer afford to buy now
- Tenants - Renting from a council or housing association
- Long term disability - if you have a long term disability you may qualify under the Government's Home Ownership For People With Long Term Disabilities (HOLD)
Which Lenders offer help to buy shared ownership mortgages?
Not all lenders offer shared ownership mortgages.
See our table above for lenders that offer mortgages on a shared ownership or help to buy basis.
Why do people Choose help to buy mortgages?
The main reason is to keep monthly costs to a minimum.
1. Low deposit
Mortgages are available with as little as 5% deposit.
A shared ownership mortgage is an affordable way to get on the housing ladder by remortgaging you may be able to release equity in your home.
Post Office offer a great range of mortgages that are available for shared ownership - Click here »
No Big Deposit? No Big Deal!
- If you are a first time buyer who could afford the monthly repayments, but are struggling to save for a deposit.
- If you are a parent who owns their property outright and is keen to help your children get on the ladder sooner, but don't have a large cash sum available.
Click here for more information about the "Family Link Mortgage For Shared Ownership" - Click here »
If you are not sure whether now is the right time to remortgage or whether you can get an interest only deal speak to our independent mortgage broker team who will be able to offer impartial advice or you can call us on 0117 403 3464